About Us

Chief Julius School is named after Ft McPherson's last hereditary chief, Chief Julius Salu, who was a signatory of Treaty 11 in 1921. Chief Julius was a strong proponent of an excellent formal education along with a strong foundation of traditional values and knowledge. A school - named in his honour - was built in 1978 and served the community well until 1996 when it was destroyed by a fire. A new school was built and opened in April 1996 and continues to serve Ft McPherson.

Mission Statement:

Chief Julius School promotes success by consistently setting high academic and behavioural expectations that actively embrace cultural values and the Gwich'in language.